Extending the limit of electrodialysis
- Chemical Process Engineering
- Bachelorthesis / Projectthesis
- Focus/Key Topic:
Access to clean drinking water will be one of the major challenges in the next decades. There are multiple ways of producing clean water. An important method is purification with ion-selective membranes. For example in electrodialysis, brackish water is purified. In novel applications, ion-selective membranes are used in redox flow batteries and microfluidics.
In In electrodialysis at high potentials, vortices are forming at the membrane surface. This leads to better mixing of the boundary layer and an enhanced ion transport. Therefore, earlier onset and stronger vortex formation is a major goal in many studies. Spacers are used to alter the hydrodynamics in the flow compartments in industry.
The task of this study is the design of a ED cell that can be operated with and without a spacer in the middle compartment. After construction of the cell, electrochemical properties w/ & w/o spacer at high currents (over-limiting regime) are measured and quantified.
· Interest in 3D-printing, hydrodynamics and electr chemistry
· Interesting and varied tasks
· Deep look into current international research (Cooperations with Stanford (USA), Twente (Netherlands), KUBSU (Russia)
· Hands on experience (3D-printing, µPIV)
Please contact me via mail (+ CV and grades) to arrange a meeting. I’m looking forward to your message.