Student and Final Theses
We ask for your understanding that our announcements for student theses on our homepage are only visible from the RWTH network (or with VPN, eduroam).
We offer papers in the following subject areas. Please note that the English titles only serve a better classification in the scientific research environment. The theses can be written in German as well as in English.
You are welcome to contact the chairs directly, please use the given mail addresses.
- Development of online measurement technology (RAMOS & µRAMOS, Biolector, ViMOS, COSBIOS)
- fermentation technology (aerobic and anaerobic, pressure fermentation, gaseous carbon sources)
- Animal cell culture
- Development of bioprocesses
Further information: Bioverfahrenstechnik
Chemical Process Engineering
- Microfluidics & microstructured reactors
- Soft matter design and fabrication
- Interfacial & multiphase phenomena (combining advanced experimental analysis & multiscale modeling)
- Membrane development & processes
- Desalination processes (FCDI, NF, RO)
- Bio-medical applications (from drug carries to dialysis)
Further information: Chemical Process Engineering
Computational Systems Biotechnology (Jülich)
- Process Modelling and Optimization
- Metabolic Modeling, Metabolic Flux Analysis
and Network Analysis
- Parameter Estimation and Design of Experiments
- Uncertainty Quantification with Bayesian Methods
- Bioprocess Development and Downscaling
- Process Automation and Scientific Workflows
- Data Analysis and Machine Learning
- Live-cell Image Analysis
Electrochemical Reaction Engineering
- PEM fuel cells
- Electro catalysis
- Production and modification of electrodes
- Electrochemical cells
- Electro synthesis of small molecules
Further information: Elektrochemische Reaktionstechnik
Fluid Process System Engineering
- Extraction Fundamentals (reactive extraction, Deep Eutectic Solvents, innovative extraction systems)
- Dispersion Sedimentation Coalescence (fluid dynamics of single droplets, dispersion and phase
separation behavior, electrolyte recovery in battery recycling, centrifugal extraction)
- Liquid-Liquid Columns (Model Predictive Control of Extraction Columns, solvent screening, Multi-
component extraction (both experimental and simulative))
- Chromatography (purification of proteins and products from biorefinery processes, Modeling
(mechanistic and data-driven), Experimental investigation of separation phenomena in chromatographic processes)
- Crystallization (Modeling in OpenFOAM or MATLAB, Experiments of pH-shift crystallizations of
biotechnological platform chemicals & of precipitation processes of rare earths)
- Electrochemical Separations (pH-swing electrolysis, closed-loop recycling, electrification of bio/pharma-separations)
- Multiphase Reactions & Processes (Equilibrium- and Reaction-Experiments, Dynamic Reactor Modeling, Applications: CO2-Utilization, Polymerization)
Further informationen: Fluid Process Engineering
Soft Matter Process Engineering
- Rheology of Colloidal Dispersions
- Microparticle fabrication
- Release kinetics of bioactive substances
- Casein fibers
- Structure-Function-Processing relationships
- Food Science
- Hierarchically structured materials
Further information: Soft Matter Process Engineering
Process Systems Engineering
- Engineering (Model-based experimental analysis, Process operations, Process analytics, Process design)
- Methods ((Mixed-integer) nonlinear programs, Semi-infinite bilevel programs, Dynamic programs, Experimental work)
- Applications (Energy processes, Biomass conversion, Polymerization, Synthetic fuel and hydrogen)
Further information: Process Systems Engineering
Register your thesis early. Do I need that?
We strongly recommend that you register your thesis early. Unfortunately, it often happens that students put a lot of time and work into an unapproved topic, but then the thesis is not approved. Professional field supervisors can *and will* reject a thesis if it does not fit in with the course of study.
When does my work officially begin?
The processing time starts with the signature of the supervising professor. Please note that the signature for approval of the thesis (step 3 in the registration sheet) does not mark the beginning of the processing time.
I am a CES student. Where should I send my data entry form?
Please send your applications directly to the email address CES.AVT@avt.rwth-aachen.de
I am writing my Bachelor/Master thesis externally. What should i consider?
Pleas remember that in this case the examination board must be approve your thesis. Committee meetings usually take plase only 1-2 times per month. It is therefore best to plan a little more time.