Supplementary Oral Exam
Information about the Supplementary Oral Exam for RWTH Aachen Bachelor and Master Students
The comprehensive exam regulations ensure that all RWTH Aachen Bachelor and Master students have the right to a supplementary oral exam if they have not passed the second retake of a written exam and no misconduct has occurred.
This is a supplemental exam, not an independent repeated exam. By participating in this exam, students have the possibility to complete the second retake of a written exam that was not passed with a grade of 4.0. A better grade cannot be obtained through the oral supplemental exam. A requirement for the oral supplemental exam is the time frame after the exam not passed. The supplemental exam must take place as soon as possible.
Registration for the Supplementary Oral Exam
The following applies to students who wish to take advantage of the opportunity to take a supplementary oral exam:
- Students must initiate and apply for the supplementary oral exam.
- You must apply for a supplementary oral exam immediately after the results of the second repeat exam date have been published and no later that the exam viewing date. You can authorize someone to represent you at the viewing date
- As soon as the date for the suplemental oral exam has been set, the examiner has to enter this date in the individual student's record via RWTHonline
- After the supplemental exam, the examiner replaces the grade of 5.0 for the repeated exam you did not pass, with a 4.0, if applicable.
- If you are sick at the time of your supplementary oral exam, you must immediately inform the ZPA of your inability to take the exam and provide them with a doctor's note. The ZPA will forward the note to the respective Board of Examiners, who will issue you a new date.
If the Board of Examiners accepts a withdrawal from an exam for good reasons, a new exam date must be set within further two weeks. If the supplementary exam is not completed within six weeks of the exam viewing date, you lose your right to a supplementary oral exam.