Modeling of ionic selectivity in pulsed electrodialysis process
- Chemical Process Engineering
- Focus/Key Topic:
Electrodialysis (ED) is a conventional and convenient process to treat water, as it adapts easily to separate ions and it is applied globally. During the pulsed ED, a pulsed electrical field is applied with a specific pulse duration and is followed by a pause time. During the pause time, the ions can diffuse back to the bulk solution or towards the membrane.
This Bachelor thesis investigates selective ion transport through an ED ion exchange membrane. The task is to model the pulsed ED process and to understand the mechanisms behind. Dependence of selectivity on different membrane and solution parameters will also be studied.
You will learn:
- How to simulate ions transport in COMSOL Multiphysics software
- How to analyze the influence of membrane fabrication parameters on ions transport
- How to combine simulation results with experimental data
What we expect from you:
- Willingness to learn Comsol Multiphysics software
- Interest in simulative research
- Structured and diligent way of working