Static mixers for a vanadium redox flow battery
- Chemical Process Engineering
- Bachelorthesis / Projectthesis / Studythesis for Umweltingenieure
- Focus/Key Topic:
Redox flow batteries are one of the developing technologies that penetrate into the energy market as a suitable energy storage system for renewable energy sources. These batteries store energy by using vanadium as a redox-active material. Vanadium has four oxidation levels and it can be reduced and oxidized reversibly to store energy. The electrode materials for these technologies are carbon-based electrodes, which need to be improved in terms of stability and scalability.
Recently we proved that slurry electrodes might be a good candidate for these batteries.[Ref:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2018.01.061] Slurry electrodes are a dispersion of conductive particles in an electrolyte. These particles possess a very high surface area compared to the traditional electrodes. Thereby, the performance of the battery can be improved. Moreover, the flowable electrode-electrolyte mixture can be advantageous, because of its easy production method, scalability, and recyclability.
Currently, we are trying to increase the efficiency of the slurry electrodes, by modifying the static mixers. Therefore, we are looking for a bachelor/project student, who will conduct sets of experiments to do the modifications and battery operation experiments.
- Gain knowledge about battery electrochemistry
- Learning basic operation methods for batteries
- Electrode characterizations for electrochemical systems
- Surface analysis techniques
- Basic communication and writing skills in English
- Interest in learning electrochemistry
Do not hesitate to contact me via;