Biomass conversionCopyright: AVT.SVT
The biomass conversion application group covers a wide field of research with the objective of optimal processes and products from renewables. The group focuses on the value chain in its entirety, starting from biomass pretreatment as a process step up to the conceptual design of the entire process. The overall goals are products in terms of fuels but also specialties and platform chemicals from lignocellulosic biomass.
In particular, we research
- the physical-chemical phenomena of biomass pretreatment with ionic liquids, alkali as well as organic acids and mineral acids,
- the development of robust in-line process analytical technologies for biomass conversion using spectroscopy and model-based methods of data evaluation,
- the modelling of various chemical processes occurring during the conversion of biomass to products,
- the development of novel methods and strategies to identify optimal reaction pathways for the synthesis of fuels and platform chemicals from biomass,
- conceptual process design and optimization of, e.g., multicomponent separations, in order to convert biomass to fuels and platform chemicals,
- the development of dynamic models for optimized operation and process control of biorefineries,
- simulation and analysis of metabolic pathways for optimal productivity of biochemicals.